NORTHERN STATES GOVERNORS' FORUM
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE MEETING OF THE NORTHERN STATES GOVERNORS' FORUM HELD ON FRIDAY 17TH MAY 2019 AT THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, SIR KASHIM IBRAHIM HOUSE, KADUNA
The Northern States Governors' Forum convened a meeting to deliberate on the major issues affecting the Northern States and the Nations at large, particularly the current challenges of insecurity which seems to be deteriorating, despite concerted efforts by the Federal and State Governments.
1. The Forum deliberated extensively on the nature of insecurity currently bedeviling the region and various ways and means of dealing with the situation. In order to tackle the challenges holistically in an all-encompassing manner, the Forum set up a Committee under the Chairmanship the Governor of Katsina State, Alh. Aminu Bello Masari to inter-alia develop a comprehensive regional plan of action that could bring lasting solutions to the lingering crises. The Committee, as part of its mandate would seek audience with Mr. President and make adequate presentation to him on the true nature of the security challenges. It would also make suggestion based on the through and insightful analysis and assessment of the situation on the best possible way the Federal Government to resolve the incessant problems.
2. On New Nigeria Development Company Limited (NNDC), the Forum appointed a Committee under the Chairmanship of His Excellency, the Governor of Jigawa State Alh Badaru Abubakar to meticulously study the current structure as well as, mission and vision of the company and come up with a road map on how best to resuscitate and re-invigorate the Company towards the realization of its pre-set goals and objectives. Membership of the Committee include Niger State Governor, Alh Abubakar Sani Bello, Shamsudeen Usman, Engr. Ibrahim Ali, Bello Maccido, Ambrose Feese, MK. Ahmed and Engr. Abdullahi A. Sule.
3. The Forum after due consideration and wide consultations resolved to appoint Malam Tanimu Yakubu as the new Chairman of the New Nigeria Development Company in view of his vast knowledge and wealth of experience. It also resolved that the current management of the Company who have been operating in acting capacity should remain until the appointment of a substantive Executive management.
The Committee on the NNDC as part of its assignment should ensure that the Board of the NNDC follow due process in the appointment of the new Executive Management through advertisement of vacant positions and other extant procedures.
Similarly, due process to be followed in respect to the new Nigerian Newspapers Company Limited.
4. The Forum also directed New Capital Properties a subsidiary under NNDC to continue
with the disposal of NNNC properties with a view to settling other outstanding liabilities of the Company and transforming it into a new media outfit. The Forum expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for settling the pension arrears of the company's pensioners.
5. The Forum thanked the management of Ahmadu Bello Memorial Foundation for their
laudable programmes and other noble activities that has direct impact on the lives of the
people. The Forum assured the Foundation of its continued support and assistance at all
The Forum elected the Executive Governor of Plateau State, His Excellency, Mr. Simon Lalong as the New Chairman of the Northern States Governors' Forum with effect from 29th May 2019.
Kashim Shettima Governor of Borno State and
Chairman, Northern States Governors' Forum